Bełżec - Memory Place Museum
One of the biggest death camps that was built by Germans during the Second World War in Poland was located in Bełżec. The camp was situated near railway tracks that lead from Lublin to Lvov. It operated in years 1942 – 1943; half a million people were killed there. Prisoners, who eventually became victims, were mainly of Jewish origin. They were brought there from Poland and Europe; most of them came from Kraków and Lublin, also from Lublin ghetto, as well as Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia.
Ashes of the victims lie in 33 mass graves. A modest monument was built on the camp's graveyard in 1963. Now, an extraordinary monument complex honours those who were killed. It is made of stone, concrete, bent wires and a Deep Path open to the skies, leading to a wailing wall with a quotation from the Book of Hiob and the museum itself.
Camp relics, documents, photographs and audiovisual material that illustrate camp's history and extermination politics of occupier of General Government are displayed in the museum.
Memory Place Museum in Bełżec
ul. Ofiar Obozu 4
tel. 84 665 25 10