Zamość – Museum of Martyrology in Rotunda
A brick battery was built in years 1825-1831, when the 16th century fortress in Zamość was modernised in order to defend it more effectively. It was a stronghold connected to a massive fortress corridor. The round shape of the battery explains its name - rotunda.
During the Second World War German occupation, when it was out of people's sight, the rotunda was a witness of martyrdom and death of many imprisoned Poles, Jews and Soviet captives. Gestapo organized a custody prison and an execution spot there. Nazis murdered around 6,000-8,000 people there. Their bodies were put in pits in the ground.
Most executions took place in 1944, when German occupiers carried out actions against partizans and other people from Zamość Region who were believed to be enemies of the Reich.
Museum of Martyrology in Rotunda was established here in 1947 to honour those murdered there. Various materials on Polish children from Zamość Region, who were victims of pacification, death sentence announcements, ordinances of German authorities and other documents are held there.
A cemetery of Stalin regime victims and graves of Polish soldiers dated September 1939 are located around the rotunda.
Museum of Martyrology, Rotunda
[address] ul. Męczenników Rotundy
tel. 84 638 52 06