Zamość – Franciscan church
The church is located near New and Old Lvov Gates in the eastern part of the Old Town. The building might strike you as monumental as it was the biggest temple in Zamość; even bigger than the Cathedral.
The history of this church is rich and fascinating. It was founded by a landowner, Tomasz Zamoyski, and built on a lot bought from Morando family who used to have an inn called Giełdy there. This inn was the seat of a merchant guild. Temporal material matters were not as important as spiritual ones and the church was created there. Franciscans were brought to Zamość in 1655 by another landowner – Jan Sobiepan Zamoyski.
Jan Jaroszewicz, also known as Jan Wolff, and later on, by the end of the project, Jan Michał Link were main designers of this magnificent building, which is believed to be one of the most prominent achievements of Polish sacred architecture.
In accordance to their monastic rules, Franciscans of Zamość, developed priestly work, lectured in Zamość Academy and took care of publishing work.
After the first partition of Poland, Austrian authorities ordered a cassation which resulted in Franciscans having to leave the church. More repressions came from the Russians, who destroyed the monastery building and turned the church into military garisson after the Duchy of Warsaw fell apart. Since 1918 more changes were introduced to the temple. It became a seat of the Starosty, a cinema and a Secondary Art School. It was 1993 when the church returned to Franciscans. A year later, Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church was established.
Renovation works brought the building's glory back. You can still see Baroque architecture style in the temple's elevation, which is decorated by Corinthian pilasters set in regular spaces filled by conch-shaped niches. The Baroque facade portal is also impressive. Antique basement, arcades between aisles and vaults of side aisles, that stood next to the temple before changes introduced in the 18th century, can be seen inside the building.
Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Zamość
[address] ul. Stanisława Staszica 1
tel. 84 627 09 44